3-Day Power BI Desktop Series 1 - Data Model, DAX And Dashboard Visualization Course
In Singapore (Exclusive)
Start from building knowledge on data modeling to develop data visualizing capabilities
All our courses are not subsidised and non-claimable using SkillsFuture credit
Power BI Desktop Series 1 - Data Mode, DAX And Dashboard Visualization Course Overview
Skills in data analysis, reporting and the creation of dashboards are highly valued in today’s business environment. Microsoft Power BI is quickly becoming the world’s most powerful self-service business intelligence (BI) platform, and an absolutely essential tool for data professionals and beginners alike. Microsoft Power BI can help you get more insights from your data on your computer or in the cloud.
Regardless if you are a data analyst, data scientist or even a power user of Excel who manipulates data for various reporting requirements to your organization, Power BI allows you to be productive and creative with what you build. With Power BI you can connect to hundreds of data sources, build complex relational models using simple and intuitive tools, and design stunning, interactive dashboards from scratch – all for FREE (You can download from here or refer to the installation guide here).
There is no beneficial use on using Microsoft Power Bi without first knowing how to build the data model. What sets us apart from other training providers providing Microsoft Power BI course?
- We do not have readily created database for you. Since this is a project-based learning course, you will learn how to build database from scratch from the raw data provided, clean up the data, build the data model with table relationships and use DAX formulas to generate other required data and KPIs, and display out as a final report, just like a pivot table.
- You will learn the importance of Data Normalisation and how it works.
Next, we will take your skills to the next level by delving deeper and acquiring a more thorough understanding of how Power BI handles time data to support the needs of Business Intelligence analysis by enabling you to manipulate data using time periods and build and compare calculations over those periods.
Lastly, you will finish off by learning the usage of various visualization tools in Power BI on the project you’ve build from scratch to add stunning and interactivity to your dashboard report.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- get started with Microsoft Power BI Desktop confidently
- connect to source data
- use Power Query
- transform and shape data
- use Database normalization
- build a relational data model
- understand basic DAX functions
- create calculated fields and measures using DAX formulas
- create KPIs using Matrix
- use some powerful Time intelligence DAX functions like DATESYTD, DATESQTD, DATESINPERIOD, etc.
- use various visualization tools like Slicer, KPI, Gauge, Map, Treemap, Bar, etc
- apply formatting to visual objects
- apply different types of filter to the visual objects
- apply Drillthrough Filters
- build a business dashboard with visualization tools
- edit report interactions between objects
- add and link bookmarks
- use “What-If” Parameters
- manage and view as roles
This course is for:
- anyone who is looking for a hands-on, project-based introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop
- data analysts and intermediate-to-advanced Excel users hoping to develop advanced data modeling, dashboard design and business intelligence skills
- who wants to monitor their business metrics, department process or KPIs e.g. accountants, human resource, business, sales, finance, stock or forex traders, business owners etc
- aspiring data professionals looking to master the #1 business intelligence tool on the market
This is a hands-on practical course. Trainer will walk through the topic step-by-step. Learners will be provided with exercise files on every topic to effectively apply what have been taught. A short Q & A session will be available after each topic.
- This course is designed for PC/Windows users (currently not available for Mac)
- Must have at least Intermediate Excel skills
- Proficient with Excel functions like IF and nested functions is a plus
- Well versed with Excel Pivot Table is a plus, but not required
- PC/Windows operating system laptop (personal laptop is preferred as some company laptops may have restriction in accessing internet and USB thumb drive)
- Laptop power adaptor
- A USB mouse
- A USB thumb drive or hard-disk
- Software requirement: Microsoft Power BI Desktop (FREE)
Download the Power BI Desktop step-by-step installation guide here
Get started with your Power BI Desktop journey with the new look of workspaces launched in April 2020
- Connecting source data
- Connecting to folder containing multiple source data
- Power Query Editor
- Using text, number, date specific tools
- Adding columns like Index and Conditional columns
- Grouping and aggregating data
- Pivoting and unpivoting
- Merging, appending and refreshing queries
- Defining hierarchies
- Database normalization
- Data tables vs Lookup tables
- Primary and foreign keys
- Creating table relationships
- Managing & editing relationships
- Active vs Inactive relationships
- Relationship cardinality
- Filter flow
- Hiding fields from Report view
- Calculated columns
- DAX Syntax
- DAX operators
- Math & Stats functions
- Logical functions
- Text functions
- Filter functions
- Date & time functions
- Iterator functions
- Modify the project source path
- Creating a Calendar table
- Time Intelligence DAX functions – Running Totals
- Time Intelligence DAX functions – Date Intervals
- Familiarize the Report view
- Inserting objects and basic charts
- Working with formatting
- Types of filter
- Working with filters
- Matrix visual
- Date Slicer visual
- Card and KPI visual
- Text Card visual
- Map visual
- Treemap visual
- Line and Area visual
- Trend Lines and Forecast
- Gauge visual
- Editing report interactions
- Drillthrough filters
- Adding and linking bookmarks
- “What-If” parameters
- Managing and viewing as roles
- Decomposition Tree (new visual)
- Importing custom visual
- Phone layout
- Publishing to Power BI Service
- Data visualization best practices
Our Dedicated Trainer
Alaster has been training adult learners in IT in both the private and public sectors since 1986. Alaster’s career before training centred around IT for over 12 years, as he held various roles within software development. He has earned himself a Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification and he is an existing Trainer approved by People’s Association (PA). He was also a former Associate Trainer with the Civil Service College.
He specialises on training Microsoft Applications and Adobe Photoshop. Based on his vast experience and keeping abreast with the emerging trends, tools and technologies with the IT industry, especially software, he has extensively involved in developing several course outlines and course materials and conducting training to equip learners with skills in-demand or likely to be most important in the jobs of the future work.
Alaster constantly explore innovative and effective ways in imparting knowledge and engaging his learners at the same time. He also focuses his training on providing practical solutions to real-life problems, especially Excel. He is more than willing to help overcome various problems faced by his learners that arise in their workplace in applying their newly-acquired knowledge and skills any time after the course. He is well-known for his dedication, commitment and passion to training that makes him well-liked and appreciated by his learners.
All our courses are not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
This course is not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
Inclusive of coffee breaks with refreshments and bento / buffet lunch.
Bring Your Own Laptop Course.
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more.
Absentees will be charged the full course fee.
3 days, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(21 hrs, exclude lunch break)
If you have a group of 6 or more preparing for the same course, you can opt for your own closed class at a date of your choice, subject to trainer’s availability.
Please note that closed class is not customised class.
Lower course fee is also available for closed class at your premises. Request a quote.
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form.
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form.
You can also register online here.
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration.
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date.
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and hotel venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control.
More Courses By Alaster
Excel 100 Tips And Techniques Course (Exclusive)
Excel VBA Series 1 – Fundamentals Course (New & Exclusive)