2-Day Data Analytics Using Power BI Desktop Series 2 – Time Intelligence
And Dashboard Visualization
Understand how Time Intelligence support BI analysis and visualization tools add interactivity to dashboard report
Data Analytics Using Power BI Desktop Series 2 - Time Intelligence And Dashboard Visualization Course Overview
Time Intelligence & Dashboard Visualization is the continuation from the first series of Data Analytics using Power BI Desktop course. Series 2 will cover Time Intelligence DAX functions and Dashboard for data visualization.
You have already gotten your hands on Power BI Desktop, data modelling and some basics but powerful DAX functions to create calculated fields and measures in series 1. Now you are ready to take your skills to the next level by delving deeper and acquiring a more thorough understanding of how Power BI handles Time data.
Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) includes Time Intelligence functions to support the needs of Business Intelligence analysis by enabling you to manipulate data using time periods, including days, months, quarters, and years, and then build and compare calculations over those periods.
Next, you’ll learn the visualization tools in Power BI like charts, matrices, slicers, maps, etc. Then continue with the project you’ve build in series 1 to build a dashboard report with formatting and tools to add interactivity to the dashboard.
Please note that this course is Series 2 of the two series course for Data Analytics using Power BI Desktop:
- Series 1 – Data Modeling And DAX Formulas
- Series 2 – Time Intelligence And Dashboard Visualization
Data modeling is the first and most important component in Microsoft Power Bi. Without knowledge on how to build data model, you will not be able to use the data visualisation tools.
Please note that there will be no recap on data modeling in Series 2. If you’ve not attended Series 1 or not sure about data modeling and DAX functions, it is strongly recommended that you complete Series 1 – Data Modeling And DAX Formulas prior to undertaking this course in achieving greater learning success for the power bi course.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- use some powerful Time intelligence DAX functions like DATESYTD, DATESQTD, DATESINPERIOD, etc.
- use various visualization tools like Slicer, KPI, Gauge, Map, Treemap, Bar, etc
- apply formatting to visual objects
- apply different types of filter to the visual objects
- apply Drillthrough Filters
- build a business dashboard with visualization tools
- edit report interactions between objects
- add and link bookmarks
- use “What-If” Parameters
- manage and view as roles
Learners will also be given a demonstration on:
- mobile phone layout
- importing custom visual
- publishing to Power BI Service
This course is for:
- anyone who is looking for a hands-on, project-based introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop
- data analysts and intermediate-to-advanced Excel users hoping to develop advanced data modeling, dashboard design and business intelligence skills
- who wants to monitor their business metrics, department process or KPIs e.g. accountants, human resource, business, sales, finance, stock or forex traders, business owners etc
- aspiring data professionals looking to master the #1 business intelligence tool on the market
This is a hands-on practical course. Trainer will walk through the topic step-by-step. Learners will be provided with exercise files on every topic to effectively apply what have been taught. A short Q & A session will be available after each topic.
- This course is designed for PC/Windows users (currently not available for Mac)
- Must have at least Intermediate Excel skills.
- Working knowledge on Excel functions such as IF and nested functions is a plus.
- Well versed with Excel Pivot Table required but not mandatory
- Completed “Data Analytics using Power BI Desktop Series 1” (Series 2 is a continuation course from Series 1, no full recap of series 1 will be provided in this course).
- Ensure you’ve Power BI Desktop (FREE) installed in your notebook before coming for course. Download and install from this link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/
- PC/Windows operating system laptop (personal laptop is preferred as some company laptops may have restriction in accessing internet and USB thumb drive)
- Laptop power adaptor
- A USB mouse
- A USB thumb drive or hard-disk
- Exercise file from Series 1
- Software requirement: Microsoft Power BI Desktop (FREE)
Download and install from this link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/
- Modify the project source path
- Creating a Calendar table
- Time Intelligence DAX functions – Running Totals
- Time Intelligence DAX functions – Date Intervals
- Familiarize the Report view
- Inserting objects and basic charts
- Working with formatting
- Types of filter
- Working with filters
- Matrix visual
- Date Slicer visual
- Card and KPI visual
- Text Card visual
- Map visual
- Treemap visual
- Line and Area visual
- Trend Lines and Forecast
- Gauge visual
- Editing report interactions
- Drillthrough filters
- Adding and linking bookmarks
- “What-If” parameters
- Managing and viewing as roles
- Importing custom visual
- Phone layout
- Publishing to Power BI Service
- Data visualization best practices
Our Dedicated Trainer
Alaster has been training adult learners in IT in both the private and public sectors since 1986. Alaster’s career before training centred around IT for over 12 years, as he held various roles within software development. He has earned himself a Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification and he is an existing Trainer approved by People’s Association (PA). He was also a former Associate Trainer with the Civil Service College.
He specialises on training Microsoft Applications and Adobe Photoshop. Based on his vast experience and keeping abreast with the emerging trends, tools and technologies with the IT industry, especially software, he has extensively involved in developing several course outlines and course materials and conducting training to equip learners with skills in-demand or likely to be most important in the jobs of the future work.
Alaster constantly explore innovative and effective ways in imparting knowledge and engaging his learners at the same time. He also focuses his training on providing practical solutions to real-life problems, especially Excel. He is more than willing to help overcome various problems faced by his learners that arise in their workplace in applying their newly-acquired knowledge and skills any time after the course. He is well-known for his dedication, commitment and passion to training that makes him well-liked and appreciated by his learners.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
Inclusive of 2 coffee breaks with refreshments and catered/buffet lunch
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more
Absentees will be charged the full course fee
2 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(14 hrs, exclude lunch break)
If you have a group of 6 or more preparing for the same course, you can opt for your own “closed” class. Closed classes are perfect for corporate team training where group learning can make a difference.
Please note that closed class is not customised class.
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form
You can also register online here
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and hotel venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control
More Courses By Alaster
Excel 100 Tips And Techniques Course (New Launch)
Excel Data Cleansing And Building Techniques Course (New Launch)