Seeing Systems And Strengthening Collaboration: Using Systems Thinking To Make Dynamic Decisions Course Overview
Seeing systems is all about overcoming systems blindness in organization.
Organizational life is a like a spider’s web and very complex. As an employee or a self-appointed leader, it is virtually impossible to have one specific method to finding solutions for recurrent problems. When you are a part of an organization you may find that you have a challenge and eventually you find a solution to solve the challenge. Then suddenly you notice that the old successful patterns of thoughts that assisted you to solve the original challenge is no longer valid. What may have happened is that the old solution has now become a problem. This will require you to come up with a new strategy and a shift in paradigm in order to address the new challenge. This is where systems thinking becomes an important asset to your ready set of mental tools.
Systems thinking focuses on how the behaviour of both individuals and organizations can be influenced and change to face new challenges successfully. Systems Thinking will also focus on recognizing the inter-connectivity amongst the various parts of a system of operation and how these can be synthesized into a successful working system.
By mastering the find art of Systems Thinking, leaders and employees alike can ensure that the ‘whole will be greater than the sum of its parts” and assist in the process of strengthening collaboration. Leaders can use systems thinking to fully appreciate, model, and resolve complex business and human-based issues – without succumbing to unforeseen consequences that might rear its ugly head. When practising systems thinking, leaders will be able to look at challenging situation with a calm disposition and come up with workable solution that does not cause too much disruption to the current system.
The benefits and returns on investment of this seeing systems workshop is that the learners will be trained in a powerful and multidimensional thinking skill set that can help them to identify and remedy chronic, complex problems – by understanding not only the full extent of the nature of the problem, rather why it is happening. Leaders trained in Systems Thinking are better able to use the limited resources strategically for best results.
This one-day result-oriented intensive workshop introduces four distinctive phases of Systems Thinking:
- Learning to see things in systems and how it affects our thinking
- Using concept mapping to under how everything fits into a System
- Acting through Systems by strengthening collaboration
- Influencing Behaviour over time to adapt to the System
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- understand the five types of system blindness in organization
- recognize recurring patterns, or archetypes in systems – based on the behaviour of the system over time
- concept map the elements in a system and the flows between those elements
- identify the causes and effects within a system
- how to engage stakeholders in collaborative action to influence the outcomes of a system
- apply systems thinking principles from the workshop to current challenges faced in your industry
- appreciate the nature of chronic and fuzzy problems
This workshop is targeted to business leaders and leaders working in law enforcement and military outfit. Leaders and managers will be equipped to leverage the powerful perspectives and tools of systems thinking to gain a deeper understanding of their situation – and to find the most impactful point of intervention to stop a downward spiral in performance.
This is a highly interactive and result-oriented workshop with hands on activities to stimulate the thinking process of the learners.
The learners will also be brought through a process of evolution in their thinking methodology such that they should start to see the changes in their thinking process and become solution-centric rather than being problem-centric.
- The basics of systems thinking
- A case study of systems thinking in operation
- Why systems works so well
- Systems Traps and looking for opportunities when systems fail
3. Creating change in systems and in our structure of thoughts – learning to look at the big picture
- Understanding the Universal structure of thoughts
- Application of the universal structure of thoughts in systems thinking
- Understanding the nature of chronic problem and why it occurs
- Strategies to overcome and manage chronic problems
- Understanding Problem Space
- Individual vs group decision making
- The Hermann Brain Theory
- Creating group dynamics
- What is ‘groupthink’ and how to avoid this?
- How to manage a mexican standoff
- Quiz on decision making
Our Dedicated Trainer
- ACTA-certified corporate trainer,
- Associate Adult Educator (AAE),
- Certified Licensed Master Practitioner of NLP®,
- Trained in Silva Mind Control Systems
- Bachelor of Laws (Hon) [University of Buckingham, UK]
- Master in Education (University of Sheffield, UK]
- Diploma in English (University of London, UK]
Daniel is also the Senior Managing Partner of Lateral Solutions Consulting LLP (incorporated in 2005). Since 1989, Daniel has conducted training for more than 600 organizations with his participants coming from more than 100 countries. He has designed and delivered customize training programs in areas of design thinking, conflict resolution, negotiation skills, crisis management, leadership, performance management, emotional intelligence, creative thinking, critical thinking, systems thinking, business and personal ethics, speed reading, memory enhancement and customer relationship management. Daniel’s personal productivity programs have been very well received and has enriched the lives of countless individuals from different walks of life.
Daniel is the author of six books and has written more than 300 articles that have been published in Straits Times and other magazines and journals. Many of his articles are also found at: www.ezine.com/DanielTheyagu.
His published self-help books include:
- Gravitating towards success
- Read Faster! Memorize Better! Think Clearer! – Three essential skills for a productive workforce
- How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu’s Art of War Stratagems
- Developing True Leadership Potential
- Guide to Success in Studies for Mature Students
- Making Memory Work for You
Daniel is regularly interviewed on radio talk shows with 938 Live [Singapore] and his workshops are featured extensively in the newspapers that attracts wide variety of participants.
He is an adjunct faculty with Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS). Here, he is engaged to lecture on the following: Work Motivation; Human Resource Management; The Law and You; Human Behaviour in Organisation; Leadership Development; Negotiation and Relationship Management; Business Ethics & CSR.
For more than two decades, Daniel has conducted Career Transition Workshops for SAF and SPF retiring officers and specialists. Further, Daniel was a Prisons volunteer where he assisted inmates to overcome anger and to transition into civilian life once released from prisons.
As a keynote speaker in conferences and seminars, Daniel is well known for his light-hearted and humorous approach to training by using metaphors and parables and engaging his participants actively throughout his training program. His key forte is showing participants how to use the techniques taught during the workshop and measuring the returns on investment.
For organisations applying with more than 2 learners, please click here to download the registration form.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
Inclusive of 2 coffee breaks with refreshments and catered/buffet lunch
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more
Absentees will be charged the full course fee
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form
You can also register online here
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date
Complimentary car park coupon upon request (subject to availability and confirmed on a first come, first served basis)
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control