Mastering The Art Of Assertiveness For Professional Effectiveness Course Overview
Learn from the original creator of this course – Ms. Caroline Dawson.
We are in the business of building relationships! People are not necessarily difficult to deal with. They only seem difficult because we lack the skills of an appropriate communication style. You will learn the appropriate communication styles that will help avoid ineffective communication and improve work relationships. Do not let negative experiences affect your willingness to try and be assertive with anyone!
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- Understand the importance of assertive communication.
- Learn the difference between assertive and aggressive behavior.
- Understand their right to be assertive.
- Overcome personal roadblocks to assertiveness.
- Learn the strategies and techniques that will transform them into assertive communicators.
- Understand the role of body language in assertive behavior.
- Learn how to employ assertive skills when dealing with difficult people.
- Learn to speak with confidence, poise and assertiveness.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is suitable for anyone, including supervisors who want to speak confidently, improve their communication skills, avoid conflict and be assertive rather than aggressive.
This is a highly participative and interactive workshop.
Learners are guided through practical steps of the topic with a combination of discussions, action learning games, assertive skills role plays, case studies, practical work, critique sessions as well as small group work.
- Importance of branding oneself as a respectable corporate professional—Aristotle’s three Greeks (ethos, pathos and logos).
- General perception of aggressive individuals.
- Dealing with issues versus emotions of aggression—the intention behind the action.
- Managing one’s emotions(aggression) by being aware of emotional intelligence.
- The fundamentals of assertive behavior.
- What triggers aggression?
- Difference between assertive and aggressive communication.
- Roadblocks to assertiveness.
- Assertiveness survey.
2. Putting Assertiveness to Work
- Drawing the line with aggressive people.
- Five key assertiveness skills.
- Six levels of assertion.
- Being mindful by paying close attention to tone—how to communicate with diplomacy and assertiveness by using I-Messages to ensure transparent communication and avoiding aggressive behaviour.
- Manage subordinates and colleagues.
- Non-verbal communication in assertive behavior.
3. Diagnosing Workplace Conflicts– Dealing with People Types
- Identify your communication style.
- Become assertive in your dealings with people using the DISC model communication styles.
- Recognising the aggressive trigger behind each personality type and how to manage one’s and others aggressiveness.
- What causes aggression and how to prevent escalation.
- How to customise communication style with each of the type
4. Moving Beyond Conflict— Mapping The Conflict
- Managing conflict using Thomas-Kilmann model (Accomodating, collaborate, compromise, avoid, compete).
- How to achieve a win-win for both parties? And third win for the organization.
- The need for decision-making escalation through conflict resolution.
- Apply appropriate conflict management strategies through role-plays/case studies.
Our Dedicated Trainer
Learn from the original creator of this course.
Caroline has more than 10 years of invaluable experience as an Editor of lifestyle and technical publications and 20 years teaching business management, environmental and soft-skills communication.
As a former journalist, Caroline’s professional work experience as a Corporate Trainer/Facilitator, Keynote Speaker and Learning & Development Consultant; has required her to market the value of her programs and persuade clients to value and understand the urgency of good communication and management skills in the work force. As an ACTA certified WSQ trainer, She has also worked with the Workforce Development Agency of Singapore to develop training content for the Employability Skills System where she successfully attained industry approved competencies in conducting, planning and designing competency based assessments for communication workshops.
Her many opportunities in working with the public and private sectors around the world has enhanced her training experience. Learners of her training workshops attest to her motivational, instructional and highly experiential training methodology that have helped them in their workplace business management. Caroline has trained operational, supervisory and managerial staff from various organisations.
She holds a Master of Arts in Mass Communication from NTU (Singapore) and has attained the Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification through the London Teacher Training College and also teaches English as a foreign language. Caroline is also an MBTI®, DISC Accredited Administrator, Enneagram and Lumina Spark/Emotion practitioner; Certified ScrumMaster® and ICAgile Certified Professional Agile Team Facilitation (ICP-ATF) of which she uses such tools for top level managers and supervisors on managing their leadership styles and team members. Caroline is now pursuing her Doctorate in Business Administration from the University of Teesside (UK).
All our courses are not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
This course is not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 8 or more.
Absentees will be charged the full course fee.
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
A closed class can be requested if you have a group of at least 8 or more registered for the same course and date at a preferred date, subject to trainer availability.
Closed class is not customised class.
For Company-Sponsored learners: Click here to download registration form.
For Self-Sponsored learners: Click here to download registration form.
To be confirmed one (1) week prior to the course start date.
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control.
More Original Courses Developed & Trained By Caroline
Building High Performance Teams Course
Develop A Positive Mindset To Workplace Changes Course
Managing Work-Related Stress Course
Raising Emotional Intelligence Course
Replying To Email Feedback And Complaints Effectively Course
Respond Intelligently Under Pressure Course
When To Be A Boss, Leader And Manager Course