Watch Out For Workplace Monsters: The Psychology Behind Dealing With Toxic Behaviours Course Overview
“You’ve always got to work with the best if you can, and of course, the best are the best because they are different. They expect certain high standards and they are usually challenging to work with.” Malcolm McDowell
Do you dread going to work or having to work together on an important project with some colleagues who drive up the wall? Are you surrounded by vicious backstabbers, sneaky idea stealers, lazy whiners, nitpicky control freaks and people who simply have nothing nice to say about you? If you are facing these situations then this workshop is for you.
In this result-oriented workshop, you will learn to use the power of influence and other powerful strategies to deal professionally with difficult colleagues, co-workers, bosses and customers. You will be taught to defang ‘poisonous’ people that you meet who are always figuring out ways to bring you down.
This workshop will also show you strategies to defuse explosive situations, handle as well as head confrontations and conversations. With the right attitude and skills, you will learn to encourage positive, mental change and learn to work professionally with difficult people.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- rationalize how challenging people think
- understand why differences in perceptions occur
- identify what triggers your thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions
- analyse the outcome of an amygdala hijack
- examine your conflict handling style(s)
- evaluate best conflict handling styles for different situations
- examine the insights to the positive intention behind the difficult behaviours
- demonstrate personal competence with presuppositions
- recognize hidden interests to generate options to motivate a behaviour change
- evaluate the importance of tone and nonverbal communication when having a difficult conversation
- apply assertive communication without burning bridges
- communicate with empathy to promote trust
- move people from a negative mind frame to a positive one without hurting them
This workshop is for anyone who has to deal with challenging behaviours at work.
This is a fun-based interactive workshop. Learners are guided through practical steps of the topic with a combination of videos, role-plays, case studies and group discussions.
- Identify what triggers your thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions
- Analyse the outcome of an amygdala hijack
- Differentiate the primary tenets of emotions, feeling and moods
- Examine the Plutchick’s wheel of emotions, feelings and moods after an amygdala hijack
- Evaluate how negative moods infect the environment
- Examine your conflict handling style(s)
- Use an appropriate conflict style for better results
- Exercise personal and social competences
- Apply the rule of balance when having a sensitive conversation
- Understand the emotional brain and the logical brain
- Navigate positive emotions to create options in challenging situations
- Take appropriate steps for fast results
- Create a path for change in behaviour with a behaviour grid
- Learn how to move from cliqued conversations to powerful influencing strategies for long-term effects
- Use questioning strategy to identify false beliefs
- Use empowering words to change mindsets (yours and the other person’s)
- Maintain assertiveness when dealing with deletions, distortions and generalizations
- Remove anxiety when handling a tough conversation
- Give negative feedback successfully
- Reframe your mind (and the other person’s) with presuppositions when finding a path to change behaviour
Our Dedicated Trainer
Sandra is an ACTA-Certified trainer and an associate adult educator. She holds a Master in Science in Training and Development from University of Leicester. Sandra revolves her trainings around practicality and simplicity, arming participants with skills to instantly apply. She is a dynamic and entertaining trainer/speaker in areas of communication strategies, leadership management as well as personal and organization productivity.
As a corporate trainer, she has been guiding various statutory boards, government-based organizations and private business enterprises in recognizing opportunities to function proficiently in competitive environments. Some of her workshops and public seminars include clients from diverse industries namely Singapore Airlines, Citibank, State Courts, CMD, SPF, Supreme court, Singapore Tourism Board, MHA, DBS bank, Citibank, Ministry of Defence, Singapore Armed Forces, Ministry of Manpower, SGH, HDB, LTA, CPF, Hilton Hotel and Neptune Orient Lines.
Apart from being a corporate trainer, Sandra is an adjunct lecturer with Singapore Institute of Technology and Singapore University of Social Sciences. She designs, develops and lectures topics on Negotiation and Relationship Management, Conflict Resolution, Communication, Integrated Thinking for Problem Solving and Decision Making, Speed Reading and Critical Thinking for Academic Writing, Research Methodologies and Transformational Leadership Skills.
A managing partner of Lateral Solutions Consultancy, Sandra provides a platform for industries to operate within various effective frameworks that integrate growth and success. Her real-world experiences with these clients place her in a better strategic position as a corporate trainer as she stays current on issues to cultivate specific skills and knowledge related to promoting employee development.
Sandra regularly contributes articles on management and communication skills as well as effective learning strategies to Straits Times Recruit. To date, Sandra authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.
For organisations applying with more than 2 learners, please click here to download the registration form.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
Inclusive of 2 coffee breaks with refreshments and catered/buffet lunch
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more
Absentees will be charged the full course fee
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form
You can also register online here
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date
Complimentary car park coupon upon request (subject to availability and confirmed on a first come, first served basis)
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control