The Psychology Behind Dealing With Difficult People And Toxic Behaviours At Work Course Overview
Practical skills for dealing with internal and external difficult people and toxic behaviours in the workplace
“You’ve always got to work with the best if you can, and of course, the best are the best because they are different. They expect certain standards and they are usually very difficult people to work with.” Malcolm McDowell
Do you dread going to work or having to work together on an important project with some colleagues who drive up the wall? Are you surrounded by vicious backstabbers, sneaky idea stealers, lazy whiners, nitpicky control freaks and people who simply have nothing nice to say about you? If you are facing these situations then this workshop is for you.
Without command solid coping mechanisms, the stress of handling toxic behaviours and tough situations can create a lack of productivity, poor attitude, and a reluctance to come to work.
In this result-oriented workshop, you will learn to use the power of influence and other powerful strategies to handle toxic behaviours and deal with difficult or challenging people at work. You will be taught to defang ‘poisonous’ people that you meet who are always figuring out ways to bring you down.
This workshop will also show you strategies to defuse explosive situations, handle as well as head confrontations and conversations. With the right attitude and skills, you will learn to encourage positive, mental change and learn to work professionally with ‘poisonous’ people.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- understand the psychology behind difficult behaviours
- understand why differences in perceptions occur
- examine the insights to the positive intention behind the difficult behaviours
- demonstrate personal competence by being emotionally fit
- recognize hidden interests to generate options to motivate a behaviour change
- evaluate the importance of nonverbal communication when having a difficult conversation
- apply assertive communication without burning bridges
- communicate with empathy to promote trust
- move people from a negative mind frame to a positive one without hurting them
This workshop is for anyone who has to deal with toxic behaviours at work.
This is a fun-based interactive workshop. Learners are guided through practical steps of the topic with a combination of videos, role-plays, case studies and group discussions to assist learners realise immediate returns of investment.
- What triggers negative reactions
- The outcome of an amygdala hijack in the cortical and sub-cortical regions of the brain
- The primary tenets of emotions, feeling and moods
- The Plutchick’s wheel of emotions, feelings and moods after an amygdala hijack
- How negative moods infect the work environment
- Personal and social competences
- The rule of emotional and cognitive balance when having a sensitive conversation
- The emotional brain and the logical brain
- How positive emotions navigate and motivate paths for change
- Assertiveness and diplomacy when dealing with deletions, distortions and generalizations
- Eliminate anxiety by reading micro-expressions when handling sensitive conversations
- Pass the baton of ownership successfully when giving negative feedback
- Reframe minds with presuppositions while walking the path to change behaviour
Our Dedicated Trainer
Sandra is an ACTA-Certified trainer and an associate adult educator. She holds a Master in Science in Training and Development from University of Leicester. Sandra revolves her trainings around practicality and simplicity, arming participants with skills to instantly apply. She is a dynamic and entertaining trainer/speaker in areas of communication strategies, leadership management as well as personal and organization productivity.
As a corporate trainer, she has been guiding various statutory boards, government-based organizations and private business enterprises in recognizing opportunities to function proficiently in competitive environments. Some of her workshops and public seminars include clients from diverse industries namely Singapore Airlines, Citibank, State Courts, CMD, SPF, Supreme court, Singapore Tourism Board, MHA, DBS bank, Citibank, Ministry of Defence, Singapore Armed Forces, Ministry of Manpower, SGH, HDB, LTA, CPF, Hilton Hotel and Neptune Orient Lines.
Apart from being a corporate trainer, Sandra is an adjunct lecturer with Singapore Institute of Technology and Singapore University of Social Sciences. She designs, develops and lectures topics on Negotiation and Relationship Management, Conflict Resolution, Communication, Integrated Thinking for Problem Solving and Decision Making, Speed Reading and Critical Thinking for Academic Writing, Research Methodologies and Transformational Leadership Skills.
A managing partner of Lateral Solutions Consultancy, Sandra provides a platform for industries to operate within various effective frameworks that integrate growth and success. Her real-world experiences with these clients place her in a better strategic position as a corporate trainer as she stays current on issues to cultivate specific skills and knowledge related to promoting employee development.
Sandra regularly contributes articles on management and communication skills as well as effective learning strategies to Straits Times Recruit. To date, Sandra authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
Inclusive of 2 coffee breaks with refreshments and catered/buffet lunch
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more
Absentees will be charged the full course fee
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form
You can also register online here
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date
Complimentary car park coupon upon request (subject to availability and confirmed on a first come, first served basis)
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control