Performance Appraisal And Management: Strike A Balance Between Praise And Constructive Criticism Course Overview
Mention ‘appraisal’ and many employees cringe at the thought of what is to come. Most of them perceive it as a fault-finding feedback process that accentuate their short-comings without showing how they can improve.
Effectively providing feedback arises when an employee and manager work together to ensure results are achieved. This is achieved when both are on the same path, know what to do and how well to do it. Further, it provides a supplementary prospect for communication between managers and employees. When both parties are headed in the same direction, it automatically substitutes the necessity for unproductive day to day communication and management.
The value behind giving and receiving feedback is the element of learning and motivation between both parties. This result-oriented workshop focuses on models and best practices of giving and receiving feedback as well as your roles and responsibilities related to the process.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- understand the psychology behind receiving negative feedback
- identify relationship, truth and identity triggers while an employee communicates with you
- turn an employee’s set of false beliefs into positive attitudes
- analyse and apply 3 different feedback models
- explain different ratings to low performers and provide an appropriate action plan
- understand the rationale behind separating appreciation, coaching and evaluation during an appraisal conversation
- know a variety of phrases and words to use in your appraisals
- apply mind persuasion to influence change
- make feedback and follow-up an ongoing part of your job as an appraiser
- apply the backward goal setting design when planning for change
- design an action plan with The Logical Levels of Change
This workshop is anyone who wants to work on their skills to transform performance by increasing the quality of conversations.
It specifically caters for those interested in developing non-threatening and constructive conversations that can be heard and are easy to deliver.
This is a fast-paced and highly interactive workshop. Learners are guided through practical steps of the topic with a combination of experiential learning, fun and engaging group discussions and real life situations activities.
- Synchronising your brains with your readers
- Shaping your message to match reader’s thinking style
- Weaving in 10 persuasive tools to create a compelling text
- Use different styles of reasoning
- Triggering words to inspire action
- Making every word count
- Assembling hard-hitting, substantive facts
- Expressing nuances with metaphors and analogies
- Energising readers with your mission
- Evoking senses with descriptive words
- Convincing with a business story
- The emotional brain vs the thinking brain
- Extending the typical courtesies
- Saying enough so they understand your position
- Sharing your feeling briefly
- Giving deadlines tactfully
- Avoiding the blame culture
- Putting the horse before the cart to connect fast
- Setting the hook with subject lines; achieving higher opening rates
- Engaging opening sentences; WIFM?
- Ways to shut the gates with a focus: ending your email
Our Dedicated Trainer
Sandra is an ACTA-Certified trainer and an associate adult educator. She holds a Master in Science in Training and Development from University of Leicester. Sandra revolves her trainings around practicality and simplicity, arming participants with skills to instantly apply. She is a dynamic and entertaining trainer/speaker in areas of communication strategies, leadership management as well as personal and organization productivity.
As a corporate trainer, she has been guiding various statutory boards, government-based organizations and private business enterprises in recognizing opportunities to function proficiently in competitive environments. Some of her workshops and public seminars include clients from diverse industries namely Singapore Airlines, Citibank, State Courts, CMD, SPF, Supreme court, Singapore Tourism Board, MHA, DBS bank, Citibank, Ministry of Defence, Singapore Armed Forces, Ministry of Manpower, SGH, HDB, LTA, CPF, Hilton Hotel and Neptune Orient Lines.
Apart from being a corporate trainer, Sandra is an adjunct lecturer with Singapore Institute of Technology and Singapore University of Social Sciences. She designs, develops and lectures topics on Negotiation and Relationship Management, Conflict Resolution, Communication, Integrated Thinking for Problem Solving and Decision Making, Speed Reading and Critical Thinking for Academic Writing, Research Methodologies and Transformational Leadership Skills.
A managing partner of Lateral Solutions Consultancy, Sandra provides a platform for industries to operate within various effective frameworks that integrate growth and success. Her real-world experiences with these clients place her in a better strategic position as a corporate trainer as she stays current on issues to cultivate specific skills and knowledge related to promoting employee development.
Sandra regularly contributes articles on management and communication skills as well as effective learning strategies to Straits Times Recruit. To date, Sandra authored and co-authored several books namely, How to Think Critically with Sun Tzu Art of War Stratagems, Impactful Academic Writing, Extremely Busy People’s Guide to Read Faster and Memorize Better and Think Clearer.
For organisations applying with more than 2 learners, please click here to download the registration form.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
Inclusive of 2 coffee breaks with refreshments and catered/buffet lunch
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 6 or more
Absentees will be charged the full course fee
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
For Company-Sponsored Learners: Click here to download registration form
For Self-Sponsored Learners:
Click here to download registration form
You can also register online here
For Government Ministries / Agencies on HRMS / ACE, you are unable to see our courses on the list. Please inform your Training Coordinator the Course Code, Course Title, Course Date and the Training Provider is Advanced Learning Singapore to upload into the system for registration
Details of hotel will be confirmed nearer the course start date
Complimentary car park coupon upon request (subject to availability and confirmed on a first come, first served basis)
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control