Writing Impactful Papers And Reports Course Overview
Learn from the original creator of this course – Ms. Caroline Dawson.
The ability to present information succinctly and in a concise form is instrumental in this current dynamic business world of information. A paper or report is essentially a sales document; if not presented or communicated correctly, can and will lose its intended message, thus possibly hindering or misleading decision-makers.
This one-day course will impart the necessary knowledge and skills for writing papers and reports.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
- Learn how to write clear, concise, correct and complete papers and reports.
- Learn the techniques used in organising and planning prior to the writing process.
- Understand the Do’s and Don’ts of effective business writing.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is designed specifically for managers and executives to master new and specific techniques that will help sharpen their writing skills.
The course will help participants produce a higher standard of proposal submissions, and to understand that good writing is, and should not be difficult.
Learners are guided through practical steps of the topic with a combination of
- Group Discussion
- Class Brainstorming
- Learning from a Partner
1. Planning Stage: Purpose and tips to consider before the writing stage
- What are business papers and reports?
- Type of paper and reports (informational and/or analytical).
- Themes of such documents.
- Objectives of the written document.
- Audience analysis—Do’s & don’ts.
- Stakeholder analysis (elements of influence and interest of stakeholders).
- Ways to organize proposals convincingly.
- Delivering reports via set and standard formats—Feasibility reports, concept papers and etc.
- Choosing an appropriate template (outline) for papers and reports—formal and informal. For e.g Client’s board paper template.
- Successful structuring techniques using templates such as the “News Triangle”, “AIDA”, 4 “P’s”, “Problem-Cause-Solution”, “Chronological Structure”, “MAGIC”, “IMPACT” etc.
- Paragraphing (transition) rules.
- Using tables, graphs, charts and illustrations—The power of visual imagery.
2. Writing Stage: Essentials of Effective Business Writing
- Differences between business and creative writing.
- Identifying old-fashioned vs. modern business writing styles.
- Writing skills using the 4 C’s—clear, concise, courteous and correct.
- Understanding attention span of readers.
- Summary writing—5 W’s & 1H.
- Concise writing essentials.
- Approaches to writing—voice, direct, indirect and persuasive.
- Controlling tone in writing.
3. Post-Writing Stage: Editing Techniques
- The vetting checklist—what to look out for copyright, infringement, common writing mistakes, organisation of content and word usage.
- Differences between proofreading and vetting.
- Adding the extra polish to your writing.
- Conveying vetting techniques and improvement measures to subordinates in a positive manner.
- Activities: Edit 2 report and re-write a segment of a report.
Our Dedicated Trainer
Learn from the original creator of this course.
Caroline has more than 10 years of invaluable experience as an Editor of lifestyle and technical publications and 20 years teaching business management, environmental and soft-skills communication.
As a former journalist, Caroline’s professional work experience as a Corporate Trainer/Facilitator, Keynote Speaker and Learning & Development Consultant; has required her to market the value of her programs and persuade clients to value and understand the urgency of good communication and management skills in the work force. As an ACTA certified WSQ trainer, She has also worked with the Workforce Development Agency of Singapore to develop training content for the Employability Skills System where she successfully attained industry approved competencies in conducting, planning and designing competency based assessments for communication workshops.
Her many opportunities in working with the public and private sectors around the world has enhanced her training experience. Learners of her training workshops attest to her motivational, instructional and highly experiential training methodology that have helped them in their workplace business management. Caroline has trained operational, supervisory and managerial staff from various organisations.
She holds a Master of Arts in Mass Communication from NTU (Singapore) and has attained the Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification through the London Teacher Training College and also teaches English as a foreign language. Caroline is also an MBTI®, DISC Accredited Administrator, Enneagram and Lumina Spark/Emotion practitioner; Certified ScrumMaster® and ICAgile Certified Professional Agile Team Facilitation (ICP-ATF) of which she uses such tools for top level managers and supervisors on managing their leadership styles and team members. Caroline is now pursuing her Doctorate in Business Administration from the University of Teesside (UK).
All our courses are not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
All registration forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks before course commencement. Many courses have pre-requisites, which are intended to foster a learner’s success in the course. Be sure to check the necessary pre-requisites before registering.
This course is not subsidised and non claimable using SkillsFuture credit.
Call us for a group rebate when you register in a group of 8 or more.
Absentees will be charged the full course fee.
1 day, 9:00am – 5:00pm
(7 hrs, exclude lunch break)
A closed class can be requested if you have a group of at least 8 or more registered for the same course and date at a preferred date, subject to trainer availability.
Closed class is not customised class.
For Company-Sponsored learners: Click here to download registration form.
For Self-Sponsored learners: Click here to download registration form.
To be confirmed one (1) week prior to the course start date.
ALS reserves the right to reschedule, postpone or cancel any course, change the trainer and venue at short notice and at its absolute discretion, due to insufficient enrolment, class size, availability and circumstances outside our control.
More Original Courses Developed & Trained By Caroline
Building High Performance Teams Course
Develop A Positive Mindset To Workplace Changes Course
Managing Work-Related Stress Course
Mastering The Art Of Assertiveness For Professional Effectiveness Course
Raising Emotional Intelligence Course
Replying To Email Feedback And Complaints Effectively Course
Respond Intelligently Under Pressure Course